It’s the smart thing to do before you crush that Venti coffee. You’ve probably heard that lemon water is like a water softener for your body, or “a liquid sunshine burst in the morning” but … does anyone know what that even means? This article breaks down the real benefits of lemon water all backed by studies if you care to see some of the science, but here are 10 reasons that pertain to your health and beauty.
1. Lemon water > coffee first thing in the morning. Hitting your Tassimo right after you wake actually has the effect of blunting the energy-boosting effects of caffeine and could lead to increased tolerance of the stimulant, which leads to you just drinking more of it through the day (here’s how that works). Save your coffee for 9:30-11:30 AM, which is apparently optimal coffee-drinking time. Drink lemon water first to start your day with hydration and a toxin flush and reap the benefits of your beauty sleep.
2. Stimulate the release of toxins. When you drink more liquids in general you, of course, pee more, which is an exit route for toxins, but the citric acid content in lemon water also enhances your body’s ability to flush out toxins by stimulating enzyme production.
4. Fight phlegm buildup. The acidity in lemons can cut through mucus and help clear your throat so you can speak clearly. If you’ve got a 9:30 AM presentation and you’re feeling groggy, drinking lemon water will help you sound on-point.
5. Good breath. Since it’s an anti-bacterial agent, lemon juice neutralizes odours from food like garlic and onions. Other citrus fruits high in vitamin C also work to inhibit odour-causing bacteria that grows in your mouth.
6. Helps with digestion. The bitterness of the lemon increases bile, which is a natural laxative, and helps aid in the digestion of fats. It’s also said that the flavonoids in lemon support the hydrochloric acid in the stomach in breaking down food.
7. Manage your appetite through the day. Lemons contain pectin, which is a type of fibre found in fruit that can help you feel full longer.
8. Healthy, bright skin from the inside out. It’s been said that the vitamin C content in lemons can help repair damaged skin cells and assist in the production of collagen, which can prevent wrinkles from forming. (Topically, it can help brighten skin too: Mix a few drops of lemon juice with coconut oil to hydrate, clear and brighten skin.)
9. Calm your nerves. Lemons are high in potassium, which helps aid in the proper functioning of the nervous system Depression and anxiety are linked to low levels of potassium in the blood, as are fatigue and muscle weakness. If you’re prone to any of those, get your muscles moving and our nerves firing right with daily lemon water.
10. Thwart brain fog and headaches before they start. The potassium in lemons supports optimal brain function so you can stay focused. Also, as the summer months roll around, it makes sense to make a point to up our daily water intake – even a small case of dehydration can result in a major headache. Making lemon water a habit can help.