When a lot of us think about hairspray, we think about crispy crunchy high maintenance hairstyles. But hairspray is not something to be feared. When used properly, hairspray has serious transformative powers to spruce up any style. And you’d be surprised to learn just how versatile it really is, even outside of the world of hair. Here are some of our best beauty hacks all using hairspray!
1. Roll the smooth side of your hairspray can over your hairstyle after spritzing to tame pesky flyaways. This is much less risky and much more effective than trying to use a comb or cream to smooth them down.
2. Spray hairspray all over your hair, then pinch and twist a few strands together to create more separation and play up your hair’s natural texture. That sexy I-just-rolled-out-of-bed-and-look-at-how-great-I-look look is really always a good look.
3. Before inserting any sort of hair accessories, like clips or bobby pins, give them a spray to give them a bit more grip so your style won’t slip. Just be sure to clean them after so they don’t get gross.
4. While your hair is still wet, spray it and style it into a bun or braid of your choosing and wait for it to dry. Once dry, you’ll have great playful texture that will last all day.
5. Hairspray is crucial for curls and works best if you spray your hair from underneath rather than on top. Hairspray on top will weigh you down and flatten you out. Hairspray underneath will keep your curls in check and pump up the volume. Just tip your head and spray into the layers.
6. For a messier updo, spritz a hard bristled toothbrush with a bit of hairspray and lightly run it from the back of your head forward to your hairline for some texture and purposeful flyaways.
7. By that same token, you could also use a hairsprayed toothbrush to tame those little baby hairs around your hairline, although a natural bristle one will work best here.
8. Spray your hairbrush and run it through your hair to neutralize hair static (so key for wintertime!).
9. By that same token, get rid of clothes static as well by spraying a light mist from six inches away. Shake fabric and repeat as necessary.
10. Running out of brow gel? Spritz some hairspray onto a clean mascara spool or even use your finger to smooth those brows into place.
11. Slippery new shoes? Triple spray the bottoms of your newest kicks for no-slip grip. Especially useful for avoiding dance floor fiascos at weddings.
12. Stop clothing stains in their tracks by spraying the fabric before washing. The hairspray will keep the stain from processing so it will come out easier.
13. Set your freshly painted nails with hairspray to help them dry in only two minutes, with added shine no less!